Saturday, October 11, 2008

Brief glimpse of Perth

I managed to visit the few main tourist areas while I was in Perth such as the city (of course), Northbridge (China town), Subiaco, Freemantle and King's park. Also managed to pass by popular beaches such as Scarborough and Cottlesloe - beautiful indeed.



Photo taken outside Curtin University (city campus). According to a friend, it has another campus outside of city.

I was told there is a bakery that is famous for its apple strudel and it's situated on Victoria Street in the city centre. Me and another friend wandered around city in the hunt for the bakery then to realise it's actually in Northbridge. During the hunt, we stumbled upon a bakery owned by Vietnameses and we went in to ask if it was the famous bakery (being naive). Hah, the owner did not say yes but told us MANY Singaporeans go a long way to bring home their apple strudels. Desperate for the strudel, we decided to give it a go..


I did not order apple but vanilla custard strudel instead. Each strudel costs AUD2.80 and oh my mama - look at the size! I also had half of their rum truffle because it looked so gigantic and yummy.



Taking the first bite with excitement and great anticipation~


My look reveals the quality of taste..




I then went roaming around city aimlessly after realising the famous strudel is not within walking distance. Yeen pretending to be a kangaroo.


Cheeky Yeen~






My first musical experience - The Beauty and the Beast! Produced by Disneyland. It was awesome and I had lots of fun watching and listening to their beautiful lyrics and powerful singings. My heart melted when the beast fell in love with Belle..until the Beast turned back into the prince.. We all share the same verdict - The beast looks better than the Prince..




During break time, I found this very thoughtful room beside the washroom~ Perfect for a theatre!

Determined to try the apple strudel (fine, my whole trip pretty much revolved around it) - I made a visit the NorthBridge the next day.

AC told me I should try the chinese foods there; especially those hiding in the little streets off main street. The foods were meant to be delicious and cheap.


I did. Found an area with hawker stalls off the main Northbridge street and decided to have a go at their DimSum. My opinion = not fantastic. The Siu Mai was good but the rice noodle of their Cheong Fan was too thick. Felt like eating flour with intermittent taste of prawn and soya sauce.


Ohhh wahahahaha - I finally fulfilled my purpose to Perth. I found the Apple Strudel! The bakery's name is Corica. Apparently the baker who makes the pastry has moved to another bakery called 'Love bite'. I couldn't find that bakery but that's ok because I think the pastry from Corica should be just as good. I thought they were going to sell it in small pieces like the AUD2.80 one I tried. But holy mama, the only size that they have was a half a meter long (ok, exaggerated a bit here) apple strudel that costs AUD16.80!



Still had to buy regardless.. Hmm hmm.. the sales ladies at the bakery were pretty rude though - impatient and were not very helpful. But the strudel - excellent!

I reckon Freemantle is perhaps one of the most popular places in Perth. Everywhere I went and everyone I spoke to had recommended me to make a visit to that place. It's slightly further than all the other places I have been to and took me about 1 hour one way to bus there.


Freemantle has lots of beautiful and unique architecture. It gives me an impression that it is an old town but on observation, all the buildings are well-maintained .



Saw this outside the main entrance of freemantle market. Thought it's interesting. Had an urge to try the herbal drugs but was too coward to put my thought into action haha.


Inside the market..

There is a seafood store right at the entrance and it is linked to a fish and chips restaurant. With an extra AUD6, we could order the seafoods we want to eat and the chef next door would cook them for us. Chips and salad come with the AUD6.


Fresh oyster with lemon juice - Yuuumm!



I had Rainbow trout pan fried with olive oil, herbs and pepper, deep fried baby octopuses and a baby sardine. On top of that, I also ordered bubble milk tea and tako balls. A very tummy satisfying session.


After the fattening meal, I decided to take a walk in the King's Park - a well maintained botanic garden with hundreds of different wild flowers species. It's about 400 hectares big and overlooks the city of Perth and Swan River.


After the quick walk - it was time to meet up with my bunch of high school friends.. something I have been looking forward to since I knew I was going to Perth!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perth food sounds v cheap leh.. for the price u paid, u get big portion!!

and the kangaroo's pic.. mmm i think is kind of kinky :P haha..

Macho's Mummy said...

Yea yea actually I think food in Perth is definitely cheaper than Dunedin.

Hoho... no ar, I don't think the photo with kangaroo is in any way along the line of kinkiness leh :D